A Brief Guide on Urinary Catheterization Course for Nurses in India
December 27, 2016
Urinary Catheterization is an invasive procedure of insertion of an indwelling urethral catheter. It is meant to be an intervention used to manage urinary problems such as urinary incontinence and urinary retention. Since the urinary catheterization process is a complicated process, it is the last to be recommended to patients. It is only suggested in cases when all other urinary system management techniques have failed.The Complications and Risks Involved in Urinary Catheterization
Urinary catheterization is supposed to be the last option after all other options have failed or are not apt for the patient’s problem. The procedure brings with it a high risk for infection. Listed below are certain risks and complications involved in a urinary catheterization procedure –
- Inability to catheterize in the first place
- Urethral injury due to the trauma sustained during the insertion or balloon inflation in the wrong position. This may lead to-
- False Passage
- Urethral Strictures (Critical Situation)
- Failure to return foreskin to normal position because of the insertion- Paraphimosis
- Psychological Trauma
The procedure of urinary catheterization is a complicated and risky one. A proficient healthcare professional is always assigned to lead such cases. INSCOL offers a Urinary Catheterization Course to upgrade skills, competence level, and the minute details of the procedure. The aim is to ensure a positive outcome for the patient while minimizing complications.
This training is to familiarize students with the differences between male and female catheterization, the reasons for catheterization, and to become accustomed to handling, inserting and changing catheters. Up on completion,students will be able to demonstrate an improved awareness of male and female catheterization. They will also be able to confidently work around, handle and change male and female catheters.
Learning Outcomes of the Urinary Catheterization Course Offered by INSCOL include –
- A nurse develops the theoretical knowledge and enhances practical skills.
- Nurses learn to care effectively and safely for patients requiring catheterization.
- They learn the correct selection and use of the catheterization equipment.
- Nurses become aware of the complications involved in the procedure of urinary catheterization.
- They learn about infection control procedures during this high risk procedure.
The Center for Continuing Education (CCE) is a training division of INSCOL, engaged to conduct training and skill enhancement workshops, seminars, and other related activities, to improve continually, upgrade, and update professional and educational competencies of healthcare professionals in India. A Urinary Catheterization Course does not only upgrade your skills as a health care professional, it adds a plus point if you want to pursue your career as a global nurse.For more information, please visit: https://www.inscol.com/india/cce.