The Benefits of Pursuing a Graduate Certificate in Palliative Care
October 21, 2016 | By phili_blogs
According to the World Health Organization-“Palliative Care is an approach that improves the quality of life of patients and their families facing the problem associated with life-threatening illness, through the prevention and relief of suffering, by means of early identification and impeccable assessment, and treatment of pain and other problems, physical, psychological and spiritual.”
Thus, the goal of palliative care is to provide relief from pain and other distressing symptoms that the patients of life-threatening diseases suffer from. It is not necessarily a means to postpone death; rather, palliative care is about affirming life and regarding dying as a normal process.
Countries like Canada also have a stark shortage of nursing workforce in the present times. This means that many nursing students are seeking professional training and willing to go for a Graduate Certificate in Palliative Care.
Benefits of a Graduate Certificate in Palliative CareThe specialization aims to-
- Improve your ability to provide not only effective and safe, but also satisfying service to palliative patients and their families.
- Increase the potential to gain employment in work-settings which are involved with the care of palliative patients and their families.
Learning Outcomes of a Graduate Certificate in Palliative CareUpon successful completion of the program, you’ll be able to:
- Use specialized skills and knowledge to provide safe and competent care.
- Engage in healthy discussions over the psychological, ethical, cultural and political influences on palliative care.
- Use the principles of health education, teaching-learning process, and the adult learning process to meet the learning needs of patients and their families.
- Update and expand your scientific knowledge by using various resources and grabbing opportunities.
Here at INSCOL, you can now apply for the January 2017 intake. The Graduate Certificate in Palliative Care Nursing will be conducted at Niagara College, Welland Campus. Remember, the certificate is also aligned with the ‘National Norms and Principles of Practice’ which have been developed by the Canadian Hospice Palliative Care Association.A world of opportunities awaits you. It’s your time to shine as a global nurse.